North Korea is denying accusations of obtaining $2 billion through hacking banks and cryptocurrency exchanges.
On Sept. 1, the country’s official state media, the Korea Central News Agency (KCNA), denied allegations of massive theft by North Korean agents.
As Cointelegraph previously reported, the United Nations Security Council North Korea sanctions committee said that “Democratic People’s Republic of Korea cyber actors were raising money for its WMD (weapons of mass destruction) programs, with total proceeds to date estimated at up to two billion US dollars.”
In response, KCNA cited a statement from the National Coordination Committee of the DPRK for Anti-Money Laundering and Countering the Financing of Terrorism, which claims that the United States and other hostile forces are now spreading slanderous rumors. It said:
“Such a fabrication by the hostile forces is nothing but a sort of a nasty game aimed at tarnishing the image of our Republic and finding justification for sanctions and pressure campaign against the DPRK.”
The statement further adds that the UN is “re-enacting the same old trick as the Hitler fascist propagandists used to cling to.”
As Cointelegraph previously reported, the UN was investigating 35 purported North Korean cyberattacks across 17 countries, of which 10 were directly targeted at South Korea, while India was the victim of three attacks.
Follow us on Facebook