The long awaited documentary “The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin” will be premiering at the Cedar Lee Theatre in Cleveland Heights, Ohio on October 3, 2014.
The movie was directed by Nicolas Mross and stars Gavin Andresen, Brian Armstrong and Margaux Avedisian. The Cedar Lee Theater is located on Bitcoin Blvd (Lee Road) and the rights are owned by Gravitas Ventures, a Los Angeles based company who recently purchased an office in Cleveland. Show times will continue until October 9 and retail incentives on the Bitcoin Boulevard will be in place during this period for attendees and Bitcoin holders.
The story uses a computer programmer and his fascination with digital currency. As we follow the story we learn the history of Bitcoin and some things about the probable global economic impact of these new currencies. There are a number of well known cryptocurrency powerhouses with parts in the production as well. The Winklevoss twins, Erik Voorhees, Mark Karpeles, Roger Ver and Vitalik Buterin all feature in the story. After the movie people will be invited to stay for Q&A with producer Patrick Lope, Daniel Mross and Charlie Shrem.
The event will also be hosting both before and after parties that are being hosted by the Lee Road merchants throughout the week. The effort was led by Cleveland resident and founder of CoinNEO, Nikhil Chand, who also led the effort to create Bitcoin Boulevard. This area is the first organized Bitcoin merchant community in the world and has been covered by several segments of the mainstream media such as NPR, Newsweek. Chan explained:
“Gravitas had no prior relationship with Bitcoin Boulevard US when it decided to acquire this film. Coincidentally, its president Michael M. Murphy is a former Northeast Ohio resident who has chosen to reinvest in our city by moving his family and his offices from L.A. to Cleveland. Our efforts have united around Bitcoin, and we can’t imagine a more appropriate place on Earth for the launch of this compelling film to take place.”
- Bitcoin Blvd (Lee Road)
The event schedule for the opening and six days of showings follows:
October 3, 2014
- 4:30pm: Pre-party at The Wine Spot: “Bitcoin 101” education session and film VIP meet and greet.
- 6:00pm: Red carpet event at Cedar Lee Theatre.
- 7:05pm: Showtime, THE RISE AND RISE OF BITCOIN, followed by Q/A with Patrick Lope and Daniel Mross.
- 9:00pm: Post-party at Parnell’s Pub. Show ticket stub or mention Bitcoin, receive US$1 off beverages.
Some of the retail specials that will be available along the Boulevard are as follows:
October 3rd-October 9th, 2014:
- The Katz Club Diner: Mention Bitcoin, order a diner burger and get a complimentary house made dessert or shake. Any payment method accepted.
- Sweetie Fry: Order French fries or ice cream, show movie stub or pay with Bitcoin and you are entered in a raffle to win 25 free scoops.
- The Wine Spot: Show ticket stub and purchase a beverage, receive 25% off cheese plate.
- Parnell’s Pub: Show ticket stub or mention Bitcoin, receive US$1 off beverages.
- Revive: Mention Bitcoin, receive 10% off any apparel, plus an additional 5% off if you pay with Bitcoin.
- Mitchell’s Chocolates: Show ticket stub or pay in Bitcoin, receive 5% off.
Cleveland Bitcoin merchants have already been seeing profits from accepting Bitcoin and love that they don’t have any middle-men fees to pay banks simply to receive money. They now have the option of accepting Bitcoin and being paid in fiat currency, Bitcoin or both. The film opening and its festive atmosphere might go a long way toward generateing some positive energy for Bitcoin adoption and awareness as a whole.
For updates, go to The Cleveland Bitcoin Meetup.