Charles Hoskinson used to be a close partner with Vitalik Buterin and Daniel Larimer. Why did he choose to leave Bitshare and Ethereum to start the Cardano project? After five years of development, what improvements have been made in the new updated version of Shelley? How will Cardano surpass other public blockchain platforms?
On June 4, 2020, Cointelegraph China invites Charles Hoskinson, the founder of Cardano, to partake in the fourth edition of Focus. This is going to be an in-depth discussion about: “How Cardano will surpass Ethereum after five years of development.”
The host is Vadim Krekotin, the CEO and co-founder of Cointelegraph China. Cointelegraph China Focus is an online interview show that takes a deeper look into the hottest topics in the blockchain world and engages with the top blockchain leaders in meaningful conversations.
About Charles Hoskinson
Charles Hoskinson is a Colorado-based technology entrepreneur and mathematician. He joined the Ethereum founding team with Vitalik Buterin in late 2013. Soon afterward, he left Ethereum to start Cardano.
Cardano is a groundbreaking proof-of-stake blockchain network, designed to be a decentralized application development platform with a multi-asset ledger and verifiable smart contracts. Built with the rigor of high-assurance formal development methods, Cardano aims to achieve the scalability, interoperability and sustainability needed for real-world applications.
1. Cardano has had successful expansions into over 100 countries in Africa, Europe and North America, to name a few. It currently has hundreds of thousands of users and is set to reach the 1-million-user mark sometime next year — but it still has a long way to go.
2. The Cardano team has done extensive research with the Tokyo University of Science and the University of Edinburgh, whose research has proved that the proof-of-stake consensus algorithm is as secure as the Bitcoin network. One of the main differences between PoS and proof-of-work is the source of safety; the safety of PoS comes from the algorithm itself, while PoW’s safety rests on the shoulders of the miners.
3. The killer application of blockchain technology has the potential to liberate everybody and offer a fair and neutral system that will massively reduce the cost of global business.
4. The Shelley protocol upgrade was the most challenging code for Hoskinson to program and has never been done in the cryptocurrency space.
5. The different opinions between Hoskinson and Buterin are akin to those between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates — only the market and consumers will decide what is right.