The Blockchain Research Institute today announced the Canadian and US launch of Financial Services Revolution: How Blockchain is Transforming Money, Markets, and Banking. The book is a compilation of key Blockchain Research Institute thought leadership exploring blockchain’s impact on finance, edited with a preface by Alex Tapscott.
The research compilation, is a comprehensive exploration from the world’s top thinkers in blockchain surveying the coming digital storm—how it will level the playing field, give individuals more financial power, and create greater transparency in operations. It features insights into such topics as the token economy, international clearing and settlement, and new cryptocurrency projects such as Facebook’s initiative, Libra.
“This book features the world’s best thought leadership, designed in a way to help professionals understand blockchain’s revolutionary impact on money, markets, and banking,” said Blockchain Research Institute co-founder and Financial Services Revolution editor, Alex Tapscott. “It presents a startling view of blockchain’s impact on the world of finance, and we’re proud to share its expert insights with the public.”
The book is the first in a four-part series of BRI research being made available to the public in the coming year. Each work will focus on a particular industry transformation or crucial facet of blockchain technology today.
In addition to Mr. Tapscott, who wrote the introductory section describing the profound disruptions beginning to disrupt the industry, contributors include:
- Michael J. Casey – Chief Content officer of Coindesk, co-founder of Strembed Media, and senior advisor of the MIT Media Lab’s Digital Currency Initiative;
- Alexis Collomb – Head of the economics finance insurance and banking department at the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers and scientific co-director of the Blockchain Perspectives Joint Research Initiative within ILB think tank;
- Primavera de Filippi – Researcher at the National Center of Scientific Research, faculty associate at the Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University, and member of the Global Future Council on Blockchain Technologies at the World Economic Forum;
- Andreas Park – Associate professor of Finance at the University of Toronto, and research director of the Rotman School of Management’s Financial Innovation Lab;
- Klara Sok – Research fellow in social sciences at the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers, a founding member of the Blckchain Perspectives Joint Research Initiative, and co-developer of OpenResearch;
- Bob Tapscott – Recognized IT strategist, author, speaker, or consultant, as well as former vice president or CIO leading Canadian technology efforts at Citibank, HSBC, and other Schedule II banks in Canad;
- Fennie Wang – A US-qualified securities lawyer with experience in both securities defence and international capital markets currently leading legal, strategy, and partnerships at the ixo Network, UNICEF’s first blockchain investment;
- Anthony D. Williams – Co-founder and president of the DEEP Centre, an international recognized authority on the digital revolution, innovation, and creativity in business and society.
Advance Praise for the book
“This book is an instructive window into the future, where blockchain technology will reimagine financial services.”
– Cameron Winklevoss, Co-Founder, Gemini Trust Company
"In Financial Services Revolution, Alex Tapscott opens a window into a dynamic future, featuring the early stages of a transition to a natively digital global economy, sporting various degrees of decentralization. It will be a complicated transition for financial, economic, social, and political systems, but I see it as one pregnant with hope and promise."
– Joseph Lubin, CEO, ConsenSys
"Nobody has a better handle on the coming digital storm and its broad implications than Alex Tapscott. In Financial Services Revolution, Alex lays out the blueprint for how to survive and then thrive in this era of digital disruption."
– Harris Fricker, President, Stifel GMP
"Alex Tapscott is one of the blockchain industry's foremost leaders and earliest believers. His work as an investor, advocate, educator, and business builder has contributed immense value to the development of the digital asset market."
– Cole Diamond, Chairman and CEO, Coinsquare
"This book will help successful financial services leaders with a pressing need: to relentlessly push the boundaries of their tech knowledge, with imagination around its application."
– Dean Connor, President and CEO, Sun Life Financial
"This book shows how blockchain is a game changer for data and transfer of value -at the heart of financial and government services today."
– Linda Mantia, former Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Manulife Financial
"It was an honour to contribute to the Blockchain Research Institute's comprehensive investigation into blockchain's promise and the challenges that come with it. This is a must-read volume for anyone interested in this potentially transformative technology."
– Michael Casey, Chief Content Officer, CoinDesk
"Thoroughly researched and brimming with new insights, Financial Services Revolution is required reading for every Wall Street banker and all who care about the future of money and finance."
– Bill Barhydt, CEO and Founder, Abra
About the Blockchain Research Institute
The Blockchain Research Institute is an independent, global think-tank dedicated to inspiring and preparing private- and public-sector leaders to be the catalysts of the blockchain transformation. Funded by international corporations and government agencies, the BRI brings together the world’s leading thinkers to undertake ground-breaking research on the strategic implications of blockchain technology, producing practical insights to help its member organizations succeed.
The Institute has 100+ research projects underway in the areas of financial services, manufacturing, retail, energy and resources, technology/media, healthcare and government; as well as how this nascent technology is changing the way companies are managed. To complement the research, the BRI offers a suite of services to its members, including monthly webinars, executive briefings, all-member summits, and other exclusive activities.
About Alex Tapscott
Alex Tapscott, co-founder of the Blockchain Research Institute, is a globally-recognized writer, speaker, advisor and seasoned venture capital investor focused on the impact of emerging technologies on business, society and government. He is the co-author (with Don Tapscott) of the critically acclaimed non-fiction best-seller, Blockchain Revolution: How the Technology Behind Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies is Changing the World, which has been translated into more than 15 languages. His TedX San Francisco talk: Blockchain is Eating Wall Street has been viewed over 700,000 times.