Ignatov signed a plea on Oct. 4 and faces up to 90 years in prison for money laundering and fraud charges.
The OneCoin cryptocurrency is promoted as an analogue of the Bitcoin system but with a private blockchain. Cryptocoin was made by “One Coin Limited” that was founded by Ruja Ignatova in 2015. Comparing OneCoin with Bitcoin, some significant differences can been seen: the absence of a peer-to-peer network, which means mining is done only by the company; all transactions can be operated via partnership exchanges; and all data can only be stored by the issuer, i.e. “One Coin Limited.” According to the company, the main aspect of their business is spreading educational material about exchange trading. For the implementation of OneCoin, the principle of multi-level marketing (MLM) is used. In other words, it is a pyramid scheme, which raises many questions in the crypto community about its legality.
- Blockchain Firm Partners With Cannabis Data App to Create Research Project
- Binance’s ‘Chinese Twitter’ Gets Blocked for Unknown Violations
- Bitcoin Cash Hard Fork Completed as First Invalid Block Detected
- U.S. Federal Judge Rules in Favor Bitcoin IRA in Case Against Kingdom Trust
- Price Analysis 15/11: BTC, ETH, XRP, BCH, LTC, EOS, BNB, BSV, XLM, TRX