Nicolas Maduro said that national oil inventories are ready for immediate commercialization to serve as backing for the Petro.
In 2017, president of Venezuela, Nicolas Maduro, announced the development and issuing of an official Venezuelan cryptocoin — El Petro cryptocurrency — for Venezuelan citizens. According to the president, the Venezuelan digital currency Petro’s meaning for the country is a way to become more financially independent and to resolve all problems in the economy of the republic. El Petro cryptocurrency’s value is supposed to be dependent on Venezuelan reserves of oil, gold and diamonds. However, the technical aspects of issuing such virtual currency remain unknown. Most likely, the concept of the coin is still just in written form without any real implementation. In terms of Bitcoin and other altcoins, they have already become very popular in Venezuela, as its citizens use it to protect themselves against hyperinflation.
- Crypto Market Flips Green — But Is Bitcoin Ready to Retest $8,000?
- Russian Smelting Giant Begins Testing Digital Trading Platform
- Pomp Joins Figure’s Board as Firm Completes $103M Funding Round
- Updated: Texas-Based Data Center CyrusOne Hit by Ransomware Attack
- Bitcoin Recovers from Below $7.2K After Schiff Says ‘Game Is Over’