The Bank of Venezuela has reportedly added a prototype wallet to customers’ online banking accounts.
In 2017, president of Venezuela, Nicolas Maduro, announced the development and issuing of an official Venezuelan cryptocoin — El Petro cryptocurrency — for Venezuelan citizens. According to the president, the Venezuelan digital currency Petro’s meaning for the country is a way to become more financially independent and to resolve all problems in the economy of the republic. El Petro cryptocurrency’s value is supposed to be dependent on Venezuelan reserves of oil, gold and diamonds. However, the technical aspects of issuing such virtual currency remain unknown. Most likely, the concept of the coin is still just in written form without any real implementation. In terms of Bitcoin and other altcoins, they have already become very popular in Venezuela, as its citizens use it to protect themselves against hyperinflation.
- US Treasury Secretary Says Firms Left Libra Due to Compliance Issues
- UK Real Estate Firm Accepts Bitcoin for Sale of 150-Year-Old Church
- Singapore Shipping Association to Deploy Blockchain for Ship Registration
- Electrum Bitcoin Wallet to Support Lightning Network in Next Release
- Bitcoin Price: 2 Key Indicators Suggest Accumulation Underway Below $10K