In a major escalation against socialist president Nicolás Maduro, Donald Trump’s administration has frozen all Venezuelan government assets.
In 2017, president of Venezuela, Nicolas Maduro, announced the development and issuing of an official Venezuelan cryptocoin — El Petro cryptocurrency — for Venezuelan citizens. According to the president, the Venezuelan digital currency Petro’s meaning for the country is a way to become more financially independent and to resolve all problems in the economy of the republic. El Petro cryptocurrency’s value is supposed to be dependent on Venezuelan reserves of oil, gold and diamonds. However, the technical aspects of issuing such virtual currency remain unknown. Most likely, the concept of the coin is still just in written form without any real implementation. In terms of Bitcoin and other altcoins, they have already become very popular in Venezuela, as its citizens use it to protect themselves against hyperinflation.
- US Man Pleads Guilty to Running $25 Million Bitcoin Laundering Scheme
- Chainalysis Rolls Out Real-Time Threat Detector for 15 Major Cryptos
- Crypto News From the German-Speaking World: Week in Review
- Crypto Custody: Adoption Shortcut or Blockchain Purists’ Nightmare?
- Ethereum Is in a Bear Market, But One Analyst Explains Why He’s Long